What and Where is the last (and still operating) public well in Milwaukee?
The Pryor Avenue (Iron) Well in Bay View, is the last public well in Milwaukee.
It's located at 1700 Pryor Avenue in the Bay View neighborhood. The well was built in 1882 at the site of a naturally flowing artesian spring. Built in 1882 and named for its high iron content, water continuously flows from the pressurized aquifer below. The water is free to the public and water quality tests are performed regularly by the health department and DNR to ensure safety.
For more facts on Milwaukee, and other useful information, check out the Ready Reference Quick Fact File.