Fairview Mausoleum was constructed by George L. Thomas in 1912 and existed until 1996. Located at 6316 Fairview Avenue in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Fairview served as a community mausoleum. In 1952, the owners filed for bankruptcy and the mausoleum fell into disrepair. The photograph above shows the main entrance in 1984.
The mausoleum, originally constructed of black granite, was neglected for years and continued to deteriorate until it was finally condemned in 1996, shortly after the City of Milwaukee took over grounds operations. All 1,000 human remains were transferred from Fairview Mausoleum to the Brett Funeral Home and re-interred in the Graceland Cemetery between December 1996 and May 1997. Although Fairview Mausoleum no longer exists, a pair of large stone pillars placed in Section 11 of the Graceland Cemetery mark the new resting place of those formerly interred at "Fairview Mausoleum".
The City of Milwaukee Archives, located at Milwaukee Public Library, hold the records from the Department of City Development's work related to the Fairview Mausoleum in 1996-1997. These alphabetically arranged folders include photographs of caskets or urns along with paperwork listing the name of the deceased, a description of the coffin or urn and its condition, and notes relating to items of clothing or jewelry exposed by the exhumation process. Genealogists and local historians may be interested in viewing the list of the names included in the Fairview Mausoleum finding aid, which has recently been published online in MPL's Special Collections Finder digital collection.