Join the Wisconsin Marine Historical Society as they tour the Southport lighthouse in Kenosha, WI, this Saturday, September 26 at 10:00 a.m.
The Kenosha Southport Lighthouse was built in 1866 and is 55 feet tall. It is the third government lighthouse to be built on Simmons Island (formerly Washington Island). The tower is constructed of Milwaukee Cream City Brick, and is conical in shape. It was a functional lighthouse until 1906.
The tours allow six people at a time to climb the 72 steps to the top of the lighthouse. The lighthouse is located next to the Kenosha History Center which is also worth some time to check it out.
After the tour, join the members of the Society as they gather at the Boathouse Pub, 4917 7th Avenue, Kenosha.
The lighthouse is located at the Kenosha History Center, 220 51st Place, Kenosha, WI.
Tours are $10.00 per adult, and $5.00 for children 12 and under.
Registration is not required, but please RSVP by leaving a message at (414) 286-3074.